Saturday, August 27, 2005

Life & Death!

It may be a bit early to be talking of death by me, all of 25. But on second thoughts is it really ? No one knows what tomorrow holds for me. Anyways what got me into this post is the book 'Death at my doorstep'- Khushwant Singh. I have not finished reading it yet, but the initial chapters on death & its ubiqiuty got me thinking. In the book he mentions the views of the wise & saintly on the subject of death and re-incarnation thereafter. While there is a quite a bit of debate on what really happens after a person dies and whether the concept of re-incarnation holds any ground, there seems to be a unanimity in the sancity of death. Death is inevitable and a great leveller. Everbody wants to believe that he is gonna live for ever knowing very well that its just an illusion. The departure of near & dear ones brings one face to face with the reality of death for a while. But then the belief takes over very soon. Its indeed sad and depressing to think that a decade or may be two very few of our older folks will be there. Its difficult to fathom life without them. Their wisdom & guidance will no longer to lead us. Nor the umbrella of their love & affection to protect us. What will remain are the memories of the days gone by. The days spent in their warm company. The days of love & laughter. I know the thougt is heart-wrenching enough to bring a lump in our throat. But all of us know that its a truth of life. Because that is what death is supposed to be. The ultimate truth of life. Ironical! Death and its philosphy is shrouded with mystery & blind faith. Religion or Science has failed to explain it. Ultimately it depends on ones own faith & belief. Or may be it does not matter. Whether I believe in the 'physical' death or or the perpetuity of soul is of no consquence . Because after death no one is there to tell the tale. To put it in Khushwant Singhs word ' To me the its the final full stop'. Here are a few lines from the book which stayed with me ...

'Lead me from unreality to reality
Lead me from darkness to light
Lead me from death to immortality'

'Life Came to me,
Death now stands at my door,
I came not of my pleasure,
I got not at my leisure'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home