Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Knowledge Vs Grade

Yeah I know its an old debate. Probably as old as the education system. But the reason I talk abt this is that I have been caught in this dichotomy oflate. I have been a student of its-grade-that-matters school of thought till the time I completed my engineering. The fact that I was ranked second in the class with more than 80% of marks will vouch for my claim made earlier. Not that I did not have knowledge. And then I joined the industry , so did most of my batch mates many whom did not have so called 'good grades' in their kitty. But they found a place in the industry never-the-less. The day I joined the industry n till the day I left to become a student again, not a single soul enquired of me abt my performance & rank in college. They didnt care. It didnt matter either. The grades I got in the college was of no use unless it has bearing on my productivity in tasks undertaken by me. Meanwhile, I recieved news of some of my lesser-known classmates getting placed in good companies , bagging abroad assignments, drawing hefty salary, in shortdoing good in the industry. This brings me to some questions. Does good grades imply deep knowledge ? Is knowledge the only determinant of a person succes in this world whichever industry he is in ? Is there any thing called 'situational factors' which play a role ? This are important questions. Unfortunately there are no definitive answers to this questions. Every individual during his course in life finds the answers to these questions, albeit in a hard way. Thats how life goes. Accept it and move ahead.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kiran R said...

It is true that once we join our jobs nobody asks about grades.

See grades are an indicator to how hardworking and committed you are. These are essential qualities in a job and so having a good grade is a good reflection on the person when it comes to the 'hiring' decision. [+ it helps as in your case to mention 2nd in class in your CV]

Generally most people with good grades have good understanding of the subject and that differentiates them in the workplace.
Also with good subject knowledge your case analyses in class will be better and you will get more out of the course.
----------
Regarding the MS vs MBA thing (did not want to post separately), it is a decision that one will always ponder over. If one does an MS, he will evaluate it versus an MBA and vice versa. One thing after an MBA from a top school is that no matter how you do the course, you will certainly land a very good position in the industry. [so return/risk is higher for a MBA - more return with lesser risk compared to an MS]

I think ultimately it is how we back up our decisions that matters.
In the second year, when you study subjects of your choice, you will enjoy the course a lot!

4:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home