Friday, May 20, 2005

Who is a techie ??

The term 'techie' is quite in vogue now. Its the galmourized and more socially accepted version of the species they call 'geek'. Pick the ET any day n u will find space devoted to techies. From their 'soaring pay-package' to 'who-could-be-their-brides' everything is dissected & discussed. I have spent close to three years in the software(please note I use the general term 'software' rather than specific ones liks 'IT' or 'telecom' to avoid any stereotyping!! ) industry and have seen the various roles engineers play in the software industry. So the question often pops into my mind as to who is the 'techie' that the media is talking abt. I look @ myself, my colleagues n other co-workers who share the same bulding, my friends in other cos. But in none of them can I find the 'characteristics' that r normally associated with a techie ( neither do I see their salaries soaring as they r hyped to be nor r they concerned abt thier brides-to-be) So I throw open this question ?? Who is a 'techie' ?? Is there anyone who lives the life of a 'techie' ? Or is it just the figment of the medias weird imagination ? I have listed out some of the 'figures' of the industry. Do they fall into the 'techie' breed ?

1. Are all Engineers (no matter what they do !!) techies ?
2. Or only engineers who r involved in 'core technical' (if I am allowed to use this term) work eg coding/designing/debugging qualify to be a techie ?
3. What abt engineers involved in test & integration actvities ? Are they techies too ??
4. And also the technical support & administration guys ?? Should we call them a techie ?
5. How abt project leads & managers ? They r engineers no doubt but their work is anything but technical. Does the term 'techie' apply to them ??
6. Or is it anyone (engineer/non-engineer) who works in the software industry ?
7. How abt system engineers working in other( non-software !!) industries ??

Some may just shrugg their shoulders saying who gives a damn as to 'Who is a techie ??' . May be they r right. But then when I see 'techies' being loved/idolised/applauded/revered/looked-at-with-awe/somtimes hated I always tend to think should I consider my self a techie and bask in the limelight ? Even if I think my work is most mundane nd as far from technical as it can be ? Even if I am always in the look out for a job which I feel will be more technical ? A job which requires me to understand technical theories rather than understand thousands of lines of buggy code which surprisingly works ? Even if the trend of engineers moving onto do MBA for reasons they do not know ?? These r questions which need to be asked. We may not find answers to any/all of these. But in the process the world will get to know that the 'techies' that they know r not insulated from the day-to-day spasms that inflict human mind. That they too go through 'end-of-the-month-zero-bank-balance' threat like others. After we live in real world and not the media created world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home