Sunday, May 06, 2007

Diary of a post-mba Idler

6:00 IST

The neighborhood cock is in the final few laps of its sleep-a-thon. So no cock-a-doodle-do yet. But I am up. No, the alarm clock didn’t go off either. I didn’t set it. I didn’t have to. It’s funny what a nagging guilt of not spending enough time with your ageing parents can do to you. Like, for instance, cultivating the habit of practicing ‘Pranayam’ in the wee hours of pre-dawn so that you can spend some time with your dad. Well err … Pranayam??? Yes, deep-breathing exercises, the kind championed by orange-attired, cola-bashing, belly-churning baba. Ten days into my post-mba bliss and I was already a pro. Hail Ramdev!!!

7:00 IST

The breathing exercises have left me exhausted. On top of that my bed is still warm & inviting. Which means its time to catch up on that lost sleep. And so I lie down. There are times when you are not quite asleep. Definitely not awake. Some state in between. A blissful one though. Especially when you have two soft round pillows to cuddle, the Bangalore morning chill & a light pull-over to filter it, to provide the effect. Life can indeed be beautiful. Thank you Ramdev!!!

8:00 IST

Okay now its time to actually wake up. Some lazy brush strokes & few water splashes later you are fresh. Fresh as in ‘ready for tea’ . Whoever thought that some leaves thrown in a concoction of water, sugar & some milk could be so uplifting. More so when its prepared by your doting elder-sis. So there you are sipping tea and browsing through the tad of pages displaying news of all kinds: a wedding bash here, a thrashing victory there, some M&A’s announced, one re-surrected, politicians convicted on one side , sport-stars derided on the other, students harassed by some ‘fool-Singh’, all served up with pics, anecdotes & some humor. Come to think of it, the more things change the more they remain the same. What a crazy world we live in! I prefer Ramdev !!!

10:00 IST

Time to put some solid-morsels in that belly, tired after the early morning churning (Ramdev remember !!!). We like to call it brunch. Though its more breakfast then lunch. Well what else can a egg bulls-eye & two slices of milk-bread be. But who cares as long as it fills you up. Thanks bro !!


10:45 IST

Surfing time folks !!! Dry surfing I mean !! Didn’t get it yet?? Internet surfing, you moron. Two years in a b-school can inculcate a lot of new habits, some good mostly bad. Surfing is one such bad habit. I mean after being online for 24X7 for 2 yrs one cannot fathom a life off-line. So there I was logged-in. On Orkut. On Y! messenger. On gtalk. On skype. Waiting for some one to buzz. If the wait seems too long then pick some one randomly from the online list and buzz him/her. The guy on the other end who is himself waiting for a buzz is only happy. So spending an hour & half trying out all smileys & audibles, scrapping & checking out others albums you get bored. So then you know that its time to leave. So much for being 24x7 online. Some things are good only in college !!!

12:30 IST

Morsel time again !!!. After a soapy-bath & other hygiene ‘activities’ I am all set to savor some white rice & sambhar. Yes sambhar. See I eat lunch outside. I mean having a doting sis & bro is fine. But there are limits to everything. Moreover, spending all my savings splurging in b-school ensured that I have only so much money that I can afford nothing more than a mallu-meal for lunch. Mallu because that’s the only edible-kind in our locality. But no complaints. I have been trained in the art of filling myself up with rice-sambhar-chilly-achad-curd-mour-pappadam meal. Thanks to 4 years of my engineering in a remote locality in Kozhikode (Calicut, if you prefer portugese names). Burp !!!

14:00 IST

Switch on the Telly. Flip !! Yawn !! Some booty shaking !! Yawn !! Flip …. And I am in the land of Alice’s wonder. So move silently to the next para you moron. I am having my siesta. Do Not Disturb!! Burp again !!

16:30 IST

Two & half hours of sleep??? And you still call it a siesta ??? Well it’s the diary of an idler, you moron. Okay I m wake. But feeling lost ?? May be some introspection will do the trick !!! .. Not working ?? … okay, I pick up that book I bought recently from a road-side vendor (yes its pirated, I cant afford hard-bound ones ). Few pages later I am lost again… Yes it’s better to stick to old-habits. So I venture out for the neighborhood net-café. This time its more than buzzes & scraps. Time to do something productive !!! So I log on to that matrimony site (actually four at last count!!) where I have posted my profile. As expected no one has accepted my ‘Interest’ yet. So I look into the latest matches and express interest randomly (well not purely random, coz that profile pic does play a role). Ah that done, now the count of pile of pending ‘Intersets’ crosses 100. Never thought the marriage market would be so biased towards people with looks, height & skin color. So much for brains over brawns talk !!! I think I am gonna follow the foot steps of Ramdev (he is a bachelor duh !!!)

18:30 IST (Weekday!!!)

Bro is ready with another cuppa. After paying my tributes to the same guy I did in the morning I sip on. But if the weather is too hot for tea, then its replaced by soda-with-lemon-chicken (my latest discovery in this part of Bangy !!!). Along with idle gossip & laughter with bro & his friend it marks the good start to this half of the day. Now I pick that book again. Only this time I find it engrossing. I flip the cover page just to make sure it’s the same book. It is... :-S ... Soon. m done with my share of reading for the day. So I turn to the good-old-telly. An hour with MTV/CNN-IBN/StarOne/Sony-Pix/NDTV-Profit & I have covered everything that interests me namely: music- news-comedy-movies-biz news. Yaawn !!! Exhausted !!

20:30 IST

Sis is back from work !!! Bro finds this as the perfect excuse to take a break. So what follows is quality-family-time. Some friendly leg-pulling, good natured teasing & family gossip and you realize that there are other ways of having a good time. And that it need not necessarily involve friends, music, liquor & smoke in that order.

21:30 IST

That squeaking noise it turns out is not the hideous-rat but my belly trying to signal dinner time!!! The plates been laid. Dishes served. And yes I lent a hand this time (Sigh, guilt can be a bad thing!!) A sumptuous meal forces me to re-consider my be-lief that all southie cooks are obnoxious. Some cook well too, I corrected myself.


Some time late in the night: IST

No, I am not asleep yet. Funny, how the quietness at nite at times can make one feel a little un-comforting within. A little weak. A little lonely. The events of the day flashes before your eyes. The past also re-hearses itself in the mind, with its baggage. Little worries of the future brings sweat to your brow. You scrutize yourself. Are you delivering all your responsibilities?? Are you making the right use of your time?? You wonder why time is slipping so fast. You want to stop the sands-clock go back and rectify certain wrongs. But then again may be they weren’t wrong if first place. I know I am gibberish. I know I am not making sense at all. I say a little prayer to HIM. And before soon I am asleep. But the smile in my lips is inescapable. Good Nite!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Harsha said...

sir, who is it..

1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home